You may already know that $46,000 per year is close to the median individual income in the United States. That means about half of U.S. citizens make more, and half make less than you. $46,000 a year is how much an hour, then?
The median salary across all occupations is $45,760, as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics for May 2021. That translates to exactly $22 per hour before taxes. It’s much more than the federal minimum wage of $7.25, and about 1.5 times the minimum in District of Columbia, where it’s the highest. $46,000 a year is how much an hour, exactly, and how much is left after taxes?
$46,000 a Year Is How Much an Hour Gross and Take-Home?
Let’s assume you work 40 hours per week. Your gross hourly rate is $22.12 if you make $46,000 per year. That’s before any taxes and other deductions are taken out. These lower your take-home pay, which is what you actually receive in your paycheck.
For someone making $46,000 a year, the take-home pay is about $33,980. That’s about 73.87% of the gross income. The other 26.12% goes to Social Security, Medicare, and federal, state and local taxes. If you live in a state with no income tax, your take-home pay will be higher.
The above is assuming that you’re filing single with no dependents. The more deductions you have, the lower your taxes will be. To calculate the exact numbers in your circumstances, look up an online paycheck calculator.
$46,000 a year is how much an hour after taxes, then? $33,980 divided by 2080 working hours in a year is $16.34 hourly after taxes. That’s still a livable wage in most parts of the U.S., and it’s more than the minimum wage in all states.
How Much Is It Per Hour of Actual Work, Excluding Paid Time off?
Since you’re entitled to at least 2 paid weeks off every year, your hourly salary of $22.12 is actually more like $23, since you’re working 2,000 hours per year. That’s if you take the standard vacation allotment and don’t include sick days or other paid time off (PTO). With 4 weeks per year, an hour of your work is actually worth $23.96.
$46,000 a Year Is How Much a Week or a Month?
If you want to know how much $46,000 a year is per week or per month, simply divide by 52 weeks for the former or 12 months for the latter. That gives you:
- $884.62 per week;
- $1769.23 biweekly;
- $3833.33 per month.
If you’re wondering what your take-home paycheck will be, look up an online paycheck calculator. You can enter your gross income, number of deductions, and state of residence to get an estimate. If you take our rough calculations from the previous section, $33,980 a year after taxes is $2831.67 monthly and $653.46 weekly.
What Jobs Pay $46,000 a Year ($22.12 an Hour)?
There are many jobs that might pay a yearly salary of $46,000, including entry-level jobs for some highly educated or skilled professions. There are also jobs that pay this amount on average, calculated by taking into account all levels of experience. Here are some examples from the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- agricultural and food science technicians;
- parking enforcement workers;
- transportation security screeners;
- first-line supervisors of retail sales workers;
- travel agents;
- motorboat mechanics.
These are just a few examples. As you can see, there’s a wide range of occupations that might offer this annual salary. It’s not surprising, since it’s so close to the median individual income. The easiest way to find out is to search for job openings in your area and see what the listed salary is.
Can You Live Comfortably on $46,000 a Year?
How much you can live comfortably on depends on your lifestyle and where you live. In some parts of the country, $46,000 a year goes a long way. In others, it’s not enough to cover basic expenses.
If you’re single with no dependents, you can live comfortably on $46,000 in states like Mississippi, Arkansas, or West Virginia. In California, Hawaii, or New York, you’d need to live with roommates, or you’d be struggling to make ends meet.
The cost of living also depends on your lifestyle. If you’re content to live in a small apartment and cook your own meals, you can get by on $46,000 a year just about anywhere. If you want to live in a nicer apartment or eat out more often, you’ll need to make more money.
Conclusion: $46k a Year Is Enough to Live in Most States
So, $46,000 a year is how much an hour? About $22.12. You can expect to take home about $33,980 after taxes, or $2831.67 per month. That’s enough to cover basic expenses in most states, although you’ll have to watch your budget if you live in a high-cost-of-living area.
You can also expect to earn this salary in a wide range of occupations, from entry-level jobs to positions with some experience. It’s almost the same as the median annual wage, after all.